The Questioner once asked that Why only the term Ayurveda? (Kasmadayurvedeh) [ Which is given In Charak Samhita, Sutra sthan Artheydashmahamooladhyay (chap 30) ], in acknowledgement to which The sages Spelled:
“Ayurvedytityavurveda” Ref: Charaka Sutra sthan chap 30
The one who makes us familiar with the knowledge of Aayu (life-span) is known as Ayurveda, The same has been described in the Sushruta Samhita that : The context which holds the study of Aayu (Life-span) i.e. attainment of Aayu is defined in these texts,is known as Ayurveda.
“Ayurismin vidhyteenen va aayuvrindtityaayurvedah” (Sushruta smahuita su. Sthan chap 1)
Above is also explained by Dalhan – “Ayuranen vindati praptnoti iti va ayurvedah”
Ayurveda has been described as the most holy Veda, because sam and the other 4 vedas describe ways to attainment of Moksha (liberation), thus called Punytam Ved (Saintliness). Following this text leads to the attainment of Dharma, Artha, Kaam and Moksha. It is inscribed in the Nandi Puran : Aarogya is the key to attainment of Dharma, Artha, Kaam and Moksha.
All this is briefly in two lines decribed in Charak Samhita, Chap 1st :
“Tatsyaayushaa punyatamo vedo vedvidam matah |
Vachyate yanmanushyanaam lokyorubhayohritam ||43||”
The definition of ayusya is ubiquitous and much wider in the extents. Science is called Ayurveda [which basically refer to the the principles provided in Charaka Samhita]. Ayurveda is constituted of two basic terms Ayus+veda in which Ayus stands for Life while veda stands for knowledge accomplishment. Ayurveda basically refers to the Science of Life.
Characterstics of Ayurveda :
According to Charak Samhita, Tatraayurvedah – Shakha, vidya, sutra, gyanam, shastram, lakshanam, tantra- mitynatharntaram || (Charak Sutra Sthan, Chap 30)
i.e. Ayurveda, Shakha, Vidya, Sutra, Gyan, Shastra, Lakshan aur tantra these have one Essence that is called the meaning which is AYURVEDA. So, Every word here is the synonym of Ayurveda.
Hence, The science and text which tells the pros and cons as well as the evidences and in authenticity of wholesome and unwholesome diet (regimen) which lead to advantageous (Hittayu) , non-advantageous (Ahitaayu), happy(sukh aayu) and sorrow(Dukh aayu) life-span is called AYURVEDA.
Hitahitam sukham dukhmayustsy hitahitam |
Manam ch tachchy yatroktam ayurved s uchyte
Charak Samhita Sutra Sthan Chap 1
- Sukhaayu (Happy Life) : The person whose physical and mental state is normal, full of youth, capable of pursuing work, strength, courage, dignity, manliness, valiance, full of knowledge, Have content knowledge of Science, uses different kind of Resources to ease his/her life, whose all sense are active, content prosperity, whose all wishes are fulfilled and is the self controller of his life such a king of life span of that man is referred as “sukhaayu”.
- Asukhaayu (Sorrow Life) : Ones leading there life-span which does not match with the features described in Sukhaayu is termed as Asukhaayu.
- Hitaayu (Advantageous Life): People who always pray good for others, walk on the path of truth, have no greed, peaceful, thoughtful, noble, conscious, working people, Religious, faithful, stable personality, behavioural personality; there life is termed as Hitaayu (Advantageous Life).
- Ahitaayu (Disadvantageous Life) : Those who lead their life opposite to the characterstics of Hitaayu, it is termed as Ahitaayu.
These four types of different life-span are termed as Aayu and Salubrity is the term which refers to the way of increasing and maintaining your life by the way of Ayurveda.
Characteristics of Ayus:
Shariendriasyasatvavatmsanyogo dhari jivitam | nityanagshranubudhsra pyayaryeerayuchyte ||42||
Symptoms of Aayu and synonyms are : The conjunction of Body, spirit, flux, senses, mind and soul is termed as Aayu. Having life, relations, consciousness, living, are the synonyms of aayu or the indirect Salubrity.
The divisions of the same are :
- Strong Power of holding qualities and being Interactive : The individual never allows the body to get malifestated way and lead to devastation.
- Living : Holds life upon the being.
- Ever : Life is ever changing and age is what you loose everyday with the gaining of new experiences.
- Pact : Aayu is related to body and the soul which tend to show improvementsby the passing time or get on a lower note.