Facts about food and die : “Aaharamatra punahagnibalapekshini”
(C. Su. 5/3)
The amount of food consumed entirely depends on the agni (digestive power) of a particular individual.
Agni– The term agni, in common language mean fire. However, in the context of the functioning of a living organism, agni maintains its integrity and performs its vital activities, by converting the food into simpler form by pakadi karma or bio-physical and bio-chemical processes.
Different types of food The food consumed in various ways- licked, masticated, drunk etc, not only in to it various structural and functional constituents but also to provide the shakti or energy necessary for proceeding with it innumerable vital activities this term does not actually mean fire. In these sequences, the term agni comprehends various factor which participate in and direct the course of digestion and metabolism, in living organism.
Importance of Agni—
Ayuvarno balam swaasthya utsahauochya prabha
Aojostejoagnyah pranachokta dehaagnihetuka
(C. Su. 5)
Food- Ahara is the food which is ingested, it includes all foods like eatable, lickables, drinkables etc.
Caraka Emphasizes importance of food. The body as well as disease are formed by food, wholesome & unwholesome food are responsible for happiness &misery respectively.
Anna(food) is the best among things which sustain life. (C. Su.25)
No medicine is equivalent to food. It is possible to make a person disease free with just proper diet.(Kashyap)
The food enhances vitality, strength & makes the body sturdy. Food increase enthusiasm, memory agni, life span, lusture & ojas.
Consumption of pure food i.e. satvika ahara makes the mind clear. When mind is devoid of blemishes memory power enhances.
Health is dependent on food.
Benefits of food-
“Prana pranabhritamanamanam lokeabhidhavati
Varnah prasadah sausvaryam jivitam pratibha sukham
Tushtih pustirbalam medha sarvamanne pratishthitam
Lokikam karma yaddhatou swargatou yachcha vedicam
Karmapvarge yachoktam tachchapyaanne Pritistham”
Food helps in sustainence of life of living beings. All living being in the world require food. Complexion, clarity, good voice, longevity, intelligence, happiness, satisfaction, nourishment, strength & intellect are all present in food. Professional activities leading to happiness in this world, vedic procedures leading to heaven & observance of truth, abstinence leading to liberation are all dependent on food.
Most of the incurable diseases are produced due to improper food. So, intelligent & self-controlled man should consume conductive food in right quantity, at the right time to prevent disease.
Time for taking food- According to classics man should take food twice daily in the morning & evening. Consumption of food in between is contraindicated.
After evacuation of bowels, when senses are clear, body is light clear belching, heart is devoid of blemishes, vayu is normal, interest for intake of food is present, and emptiness in stomach & hunger flares up, one should consume food. One should consume food without giving consideration to time. Proper belching, clearity, enthusiasm, proper evacuation of urges, liftness in the body, hunger and thirst are the features of proper digestion.
Importance of chewing food properly
- Absorption of sufficient Nutrients and From the Food to provide adequate energy.
- Chewing of food for a longer period can help to avoid weight gain because the signal for satiety is sent to the stomach from the brain in about 20min.
- Food spends more time with the saliva inside the mouth which helps in lubrication.
- Primary breakdown of the food particles starts in the mouth itself, as the saliva contains digestive enzymes also.
- The saliva produced while chewing is beneficial for the clearing of mouth from food particles and also wash away the bacteria to arrest decaying of tooth.
- When large particles of food are improperly chewed, it enters the stomach and remain undigested when it enters the intestines. There, bacteria will begin to putrefy the food, potentially leading to gas and bloating, diarrhea, constipation, abdominal pain, cramping and other digestive problems.
- Lastly proper chewing helps to enjoy the taste of the delicious food.
Diet is a very wide topic and a lot is to be covered under this. The highlights of the further description are as follows:
|Ayurvedic point of view||Modern point of view|
So, Further concept will be revealed in the next part soon. Stay tuned for more. Thankyou.