Purpose behind the creation of AshtangSangrah and AsthangHridyam
||Teshamekeekmvyapi samastvyadhisadhne ||15||
|Pratitantrabhiyoge tu purushayushsanshay |
|| Bhtyadhyeynenev yasmatparyokth punh punh ||16||
| Tantrkareh s evarthh kvchitkchidvisheshatah |
||Teathrptyaynpra vchne yach nadrtah ||17||
Ref: Asthangsangrah sutra sthan 1/15-17
The great Ayurveda text given by Different scholars of the concerned subject such as Agnivesh, Shushruta etc is insufficient in the treatment of every kind of disorders. Say whether the concerned disease is Medical, Surgical, or other intervention. These texts i.e. Charak and Shushruta Samhita takes a very long span of time for proper reading that even whole life seems to be less. The major reason behind this is, that the scholars have repeated and emphasised on one subject so many times and at other points, those topics are again described in a special manner. Due to this the very finely written text of the Rishi-mahrishi seems very difficult to understand in spite of the reason that they are very much meaningful and significant.
So Vagbhatt felt an occurring urge of presenting a text according to the need of the developing society which presents all the important facts from the past and the present needs.
Hence the AshtangSangrah and AshtangHridyam came into being.
AshtangSangrah’s Vaishishtya (अष्टांगसंग्रह का वैशिष्ठ्य)
| Sarvtantrandyatah prayah santyashtangasangrahah |
|| Asthanvistaraksheppunruktadivrjitah ||18||
| Hetulingoshdhskandhtrymatranibandhanah |
|| Vinigudharthtatvanam pradeshanam prakashakah ||19||
| Swanayatantrvirodhanam bhuyishtam vinivartakah |
|| Yuganuroopsandharbho vibhagyen krishyate ||20||
Ref: Anstangsangrah 1/18-20
That is why, this sangrah is a precise and extract form of all the useful texts taken together. In this text the topics were elaborated and systematically arranged in a relevant manner.
- The problems of the past text which were removed are :
- Arrangement (Asthan) : Topics were not written and provided in a mannered way and these were arranged abruptly.
- Un-necessary Details (Vistar) : Including the parts which formed the basic foundation and were the description of the subject, some unnecessary details were also included.
- Objectionable Attack (Aakshep) : Specific people and their text was directly criticised.
- Recurrence (Punruktadi) : Subjects were again and again repeated.
- The modifications performed in :
- TRISKANDH : Key to the knowledge of occurrence and line of treatment of Disease
- Aetiology (hetu) : Root Cause and Diagnosis
- Sign and Symptom (lakshan)
- Drugs (Aushdh) : Treatment
- Modified according to the needs of the present society.
- Proper division of the subject
AshtangHridyam’s Vaishistya (अष्टांगहृदयम का वैशिष्ठ्य)
Tebhyoativiprakiterndebhyah prayah sartarochayah ||4||
Kriyteashtanghridyam natisankshepvistaram |
Ref: Anshtanghridyam sutra sthanam 1/4-5
Different scattered and unsound classics were arranged in a proper manner in this text. This arrangement was named as ‘Ashtanghridyam’. This subject is not only precise but very brief.
“Ashtanam anganam hridyam ashtanghridiyam” means : The soul of these Eight parts is Ashtanghridiyam.
Hridiyam refers to the essence of the text or you can simply refer it as the Back-Bone for providing the text.
The speciality of this text over the Ashtangsangrah is that it includes these points as well as the modifications provided above in Ashtangsangrah.
So, This was a very precise, brief and appropriate description of the speciality of the Ashtangsangrah and Ashtanghridiyam. For more details about the subject and various other topics, stay tuned for more.